VIDEO: Fighting Austerity and the Boss in Higher Education
The ivory tower of academia does not protect its workers. Across the country, austerity politics are bleeding colleges and universities dry, opening the door for the corporate takeover of higher education. But, like their colleagues in elementary and secondary education, higher education workers are fighting back.
Labor Notes staff member Barbara Madeloni led a conversation with higher education activists on on Tuesday, May 7.
Help Put the Movement Back in the Labor Movement
Become a Labor Notes Monthly Sustaining Donor
Monthly donors receive a free "Fight the Boss, Build the Union" T-shirt and a subscription to our magazine. Donate Now. »
- Rebecca Givan, Rutgers University Professors (AAUP-AFT).
- David Hughes, Rutgers University Professors (AAUP-AFT).
- Jeff Schuhrke, University of Illinois Chicago Graduate Employee Organization.
- Ed Quinn, United University Professions at Stony Brook University.
- Andrew Solar-Greco, United University Professions at Stony Brook University.
- Paige Oamek, Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers.
- Nathaniel Williams, Union of Grinnell Student Dining Workers.
For background information, see: